Monday, November 11, 2013

It's Beginning To Look A Lot Like Christmas

Well it seems like forever since I blogged...maybe because it has been? But I have had what seems like a very hectic week here in London. There has been so much to do and I am starting to feel like so little time. So what do I do? Run around like a chicken with my head cut off! Anyways...the week began with my internship as usual, Monday and Tuesday. This week was a bit unique because Sarah, my boss, was out on holiday in Berlin. Of course when she told me of her plans to Berlin all I could think? YES, I'll get the week off! Well welcome to reality Mallory. Just because your boss goes on holiday does not mean that you get holiday as well. Oh and just a fun fact for all of you out there...when I say holiday I am referring to what we Americans call vacation. Here in the UK they call it holiday, so sophisticated I know. Which also reminds me...you know the movie The Holiday? The one with Cameron Diaz, Jude Law, Jack Black, Kate Winslet...ringing a bell? Okay well part of this movie takes place in London right? Yes! And you know the real reason for the movie title? Yep. Now you're on my flow. She goes on holiday for the holidays. So this makes everyone happy...the Americans think that she is celebrating for holidays and the Brits know that she is on holiday. Gosh isn't it great to finally understand English in a whole new way? Well it is for me and I am slowly helping you to as well. But back to the week I had. So I went in on Monday and Tuesday and worked for George, the girl who sits across from me, gathering materials for some sessions she had planned later on in the week. It was pretty smooth without Sarah, except when I broke the binding machine and then fixed it again oh and ran the printer out of paper a solid eight times because of all the printing I had to do, but like I said...rather good two days at DBA.

After the two day work week we decided to go out and celebrate one of London's unique holidays...Guy Fawkes Night. This took place on Tuesday night and was a giant firework show, unlike any that I have experienced in the states. The reason for this light filled holiday? Well it happens every single Novermber 5th and a fun reason to remember this day? There is a little saying the Brits use..."Remember, remember the 5th of November." This day/night commemorates a man named Guy Fawkes and his attempt to blow up the Houses of Parliament, but why would they celebrate this? Great Britain celebrates his failed attempt to do so and the thanksgiving of this. The fireworks were in a huge park called Brockwell Park and it was like any ordinary fair but times a million! There were food, drinks, rides, everywhere! Even a lady throwing fire! And the fireworks? Put the 4th of July to shame. They had the themes of seasons and matched the music to the fireworks, so sophisticated and super pretty.

Wednesday and Thursday were like any other normal day...but Friday was quite exciting. We had another day trip with the program planned. This time we ventured to Greenwich for the day. Now just a side note about this place...although many would think this place is pronounced Green-which it is not at all what it looks like. Here they call it Gren-itch. Super confusing I know. But off to Greenwich we were for the day. In order to get there we took a nice ferry boat along the Thames River which was beautiful. Another word that they try to trick us with over here. The Thames Rive is actually pronounced Tames rather than Th-ames, tricksters with their words though. So we got a nice tour along the water with a rather hilarious tour guide, cracking jokes left and right he was, we even got some nice rain for the day. Yes, every single time we take a day trip with the program we get rained on, its lovely. But while in Greenwich I got to stand on two different sides of the Meridian at once which was awesome...I didn't really feel any different but it was still pretty darn cool so there was that. We toured the museum and then headed out for some leaf playing. Yes, we threw around, jumped in and tossed many leaves because why? IT'S FALL! Who doesn't do this in the fall because if you said yourself you are lying! After we worked up an appetite leaf throwing we made our way to the Cafe Sol for some Mexican food and a birthday celebration. Emily Moore, one of the girls in my program, was celebrating her 20th birthday and we did it Mexican style. It was fun and the food was delicious. After this we stopped into a museum and then a market for some browsing. We took the DLR line back, which supposedly is the only tube line ran by mechanics alone rather than a driver, but I totally saw a dude running it so that is a lie! And then back to Woburn Place we were for some relaxation, Grey's Anatomy catch up and Twilight marathon, just to prepare for Emily's real birthday party that night.

Saturday? Oh Saturday! I loved Saturday! We headed down to Regent's Street where we prepared ourselves for the Christmas lighting of the street. This was great. We got down there early enough to join in all the celebrations and made our way awfully close to the stage. Who did this stage hold? Well folks I was among many who got to see the reuniting of two of THE Spice Girls...yes Baby and Sporty Spice performed a nice song for us to start the night off right, and then headed out because Sporty needed to run to Germany (no big deal). We saw a few other smaller bands perform and then to finish the night, Leona Lewis sang a few songs that melted the crowd's heart to say the least. But Leona Lewis was the least of my concerns...yep someone better was there! Someone who can make you laugh on your worst days. A man that I just began my relationship with two short years ago. A guy who everyone hopes their husband turns out like. Yes ladies and gentlemen you guessed right....PHIL DUNPHY FROM MODERN FAMILY. Yep. Ty Burrell himself was here in London to flip the switch for the lighting of Regent Street. You know that annoying girl jumping up and down about 20 rows from the stage screaming "I LOVE YOU PHIL DUNPHY"? Yes you bet that was me!! ha So I took some pictures of Phil and then saw the beautiful lights appear after a false alarm by the crew...I think it was planned. There were fireworks and mad dashes of people everywhere but gosh you guys...It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas around here!!! Especially due to their lack of Thanksgiving here, gosh the stores are filled with Christmas and everyone is so cheerful. But anyways...I could talk about Christmas for hours on here so not to bore you!

Things are really flying by here...the weeks are dwindling away and things are picking up in pace to the extreme. I love living here and can't think about my time ending, but that is good because I still have so much to do. Gosh I have my HOST visit, and then get to host my family for their visit, and then Ireland and I think a last minute trip to see Shan in Wales...so much to do in so little time! As for now? Getting rid of this nasty cold I have, lets just hope the medicine I got is really non-drowsy like it said or I am out of luck here!

Love you all tons and miss your beautiful faces!
The Site-Seeing Softball Player

P.S. sorry for the lack of pictures...for some reason my blog is being stubborn and won't let me upload any for the time being, I'm working on it though.


No comments:

Post a Comment