Saturday, November 2, 2013

Forever in Florence.

So my days of Rome came and went quickly, but boy did I not even have a clue what was waiting for me in Florence?! We left Rome early on that Thursday morning to catch our train to Florence. So we got there and off we went, just site seeing through Italy like professional travelers...but on a train! The whole time all I kept thinking was "I am in ITALY training through just on an average Thursday!" Gosh I love trains...and Italy! So we were on the train for about an hour and a half when we arrived in Florence. We took the ten minute walk to our hostel where I was blown off my feet. Okay I was blown off my feet for more than one reason...number one was that our hostel had really fancy gated doors (but it wasn't fancy), number two we climbed three flights of stairs to get to the hostel (not easy!) and number three: this was THE MOST ADORABLE thing I had ever seen in my life...besides my grandma! Yes, this was like hostel and a really nice perfect cottage had a baby, that was where we were staying! The room was so cute and cuddly with three twin beds in a row by each other and gosh I was in love! Almost to the point of not wanting to even leave the hostel...extreme I know but that was how gosh darn fantastic this hostel was! And the view from our hostel? Goodness it was to die for! But once I got over this hostel and its perfection (or tried to) we decided to venture out and explore Florence since we were only there for the day. How did we begin our day? MARKET SHOPPING!...well after we had gelato of course! The markets were so great, and so many of them with the best souvenirs you could find, most of you will be seeing that sooner than later! So we walked up and down and up and down and then up again for shopping, shopping and more shopping...ate some lunch and were off to see the famous David. We entered the Accademia di Belle Arti Firenze, went through the metal scanner thingy and then onto see this hunk of a man. The best part about seeing David? There weren't any falsely advertised signs like the Sistine Chapel, better yet there weren't any signs at all. So yes we were just walking along in the museum and BAM there he was! Standing there...well posing there for us just waiting for us to come and see him. The worst part? He was screaming TAKE MY PICTURE which wouldn't be awful if there wasn't a huge sign reading..."Picture taking is FORBIDDEN!" So what did we do? TRY TO TAKE A PICTURE! So we schemed a plot to get this oh so forbidden picture of this large naked man...yeah not sure why we wanted it but we did. We ventured around to the back side of Davey boy  and sat down to "take it all in." Now I should clarify that when I say "we" I mean Lexi and I because Phipps wanted nothing to do with this forbidden picture, she was not being part of this plan. So we are sitting there and I am feeling pretty darn courageous when the body guard just keeps eyeing me left and right, I got pretty panicked and decided to hand the camera off to Lexi to do the dirty work while I was on look out. She perched the camera behind her wallet and had it at the right angle and everything, went to take the picture and then it happened. I accidentally left the flash on and we were goners...so we thought! Lexi threw the camera in my lap and sprinted away leaving me there blinded by the light. So I played it off cool and kept staring at this giant figures butt, seemed right at the time? haha Well yes guys we freaked for no reason, nobody saw the flash and we were left with a well captured picture of David....FROM THE WAIST DOWN! Yep. She didn't even look to see if she got him, just went snapping away. It makes for a good story right? Just not the best evidence that we were there...but that's what Google images are for! After this adrenaline rush we exited the gallery as Phipps was shunning us the whole time saying she was highly disappointed in us...mainly because we didn't get the whole body shot! Off we went to explore more beautiful buildings and venture our way to THE food heaven. We ate at a restaurant that was suggested by a friend of Lexi's and gosh it was the best suggestion I have ever had...I could eat there every single day! And that my folks is when I discovered my new favorite food...gnocchi. AHHHHH. If you haven't had it go running to the nearest old Italian woman and beg her to make it for you. The noodles are made out of potatoes and it has the richest and creamiest cheese sauce on top that is topped with a crunch. AMAZING! What did we do after this forced food coma? Well we decided to check out this "super fun" club-ish bar thing that someone who stayed in the hostel before said was their favorite part of Florence...plus the flyer said that international students get a free glass of champagne....I'M IN. We get there and yep. We were the only three people in there for the whole time we stayed. Oops! Oh well, free drink and then off to bed for the next adventure! So it might not have sounded super eventful but if I could re-do any trip it would be Florence in a heart beat! I fell in love and want to return soon someday. The food was to die for and the people were great...even the creepily straight forward Italian men making inappropriate comments. Sorry the blog doesn't contain pictures of the trip...apparently Google Blogs doesn't want me to rub it in too bad because it wont allow me to upload this time! Stay tuned for Venice! Love you all and can't wait to keep sharing my stories with you. Cheers!

The Site- Seeing Softball Player

No comments:

Post a Comment