Tuesday, October 29, 2013

When In Rome!

When you are a poor college student (and living in London) who wants to travel to Italy for a week you have to get desperate. My disparity? Budget airlines! So when I was planning my trip to Italy I went for the cheapest flights possible...duh right? So when I came across the flight leaving London on Tuesday at 6:00am for $19 I HAD to take it. Sounds like a good deal right? Well I forgot to mention that public transportation doesn't open in London until 5:30am. Yeah I didn't just forget to mention that to you right here and right now...I forgot to remember that when I went through with the flights and bought them. Would you pass up that cheap of a flight to Rome? DIDN'T THINK SO. So Monday came around and at about 10:00pm we began our commute to the London Standsted Airport for the night. We made it there and found ourselves a nice corner right outside the bathroom where we would begin our attempt to sleep the night in the airport. Might sound crazy to you people at home but let me tell you this place was CROWDED, we weren't the only ones with the brilliant idea! Tuesday morning (4:00am) came quickly enough and we began our trip through security and to our gate. Now if you have been keeping up with me at all you know that I have had THE WORST travel experiences when it comes to flying. Well this time I got through no problem at all. But Phipps on the other hand? Her boarding pass wouldn't scan. We had a few minor panic attacks but finally got her on the same side of the gate as us and through security we went. Just three short hours later we were landed in Rome!! Yes you read that right!! ROME! This is what I saw when I got off the flight...
\
So we drug our tired bums to customs where we easily got into Italy...no problem at all. After we got through customs? A blank room with not an ATM in sight. Now this proposed a problem because us Londoners had no euros on us for the bus ticket we were supposed to purchase to make our way to the hostel we would call home for the night. So we pulled out the plastic and bada-boom we had bus tickets. Out the door we went and literally got shoved on to a bus that was about to leave...three spots left and three girls? PERFECTION. Once we made it to our hostel we got all checked in and ditched the backpacks for a nice visit to the Vatican Museums. Now this wasn't exactly the trip that I was expecting. Don't get me wrong it was super pretty and the information was ideal but not for someone who was running on two hours of sleep and impatiently waiting for the Sistine Chapel. Yeah so just a side note to all of you that are interested in seeing the Sistine Chapel, don't get your hopes up when you see it listed on the signs. Literally saw it about 25 times before I actually entered the place. And the worst part? When you get in there you can't take any pictures and they rush you out so quickly, yelling and stuff. But the picture I did get? 
That my friends is proof that I did see the Sistine Chapel and go through it pretty darn quickly. And after that? We bee lined it to the closest gelato place to eat our heart out in the first of many gelato trips for the week. The best part about gelato in Rome? They always give you free cream on the top and it is so rich and creamy! Amazing! If your mouth isn't watering yet then you don't have good taste at all. Then it was straight to the hostel for a nap, or bedtime...at 4:30pm. Woke up once for a pizza at 6:00pm and back to bed until the morning. Best night sleep of my life in a room with the two other girls I traveled with and a rando male roomie who didn't say a word to us. I'm sure he was a nice man.

Day 2 in Rome was a lot more eventful than day one. We saw a lot of beautiful sites and stayed up past 8:30 so that was an accomplishment in itself. Here are some pictures of what we saw along the way!
We checked out of our hostel to head onto a new area of Rome for our second day adventures. As we were approaching the Metro station one of the girls I was with was beginning to get very antsy about missing the Papal Audience, since it was Wednesday in Rome! So after a ten minute discussion while watching thousands of people pass us on their way to do the same thing we decided to turn around to witness this blessing. Not only did we make it back in time, but I was able to capture this wonderful picture of the Pope himself roaming the crowds. He sent a blessing out to everyone in the audience plus their families and friends...and anything else that we wanted blessed. So yes folks my backpack is blessed by the Pope himself and if you're reading this you have a blessing being sent your way! You're welcome mom and dad! :)
 Although we didn't go inside, St. Peter's Basilica was BEAUTIFUL and the weather in Rome was perfect for the day that we chose. Such a gorgeous place to spend a Wednesday morning, we got inside the furthest away gate somehow and that was me inside with the nice scene behind.
 All that Pope business got us rather hungry so we ventured to our new hostel where we checked in and grabbed a bite to eat. That pizza was so tasty and yes I devoured it all by myself with ease! The food in Rome was so decadent and delicious. The pizza tastes a lot different than pizza from home, the crust has a lot less sugar and is so rich, plus all the ingredients are super fresh so that is a positive!
 After lunch? Off to the Trevi Fountain where every girl's dreams come true!...LITERALLY. That is me throwing my coin into the fountain while making a wish. What did I wish for? NOT TELLING SILLIES. But when it comes true I guess I can let you know that it did. :) There were so many tourists there...naturally...and tons of Asian folks taking selfies down by the fountain, but I managed to get a few shots on my own. Such a pretty place for a stroll along!
Lastly we went and saw this beauty! The Colosseum. It was under some construction and we were not able to actually go inside but it was so moving to see. Such an old and antique looking piece up for so long was great to see in person! Rome was a lot different than I expected but well worth the trip to get there. Not my favorite place in Italy but definitely glad that I went to do the whole Catholic thing. What's up next? My absolute favorite! FLORENCE! So more to come on my week spent in Italy, but for now I must keep you on your toes a little longer...plus I need to finish a few papers this week! Love you all and can't wait to share more stories about my experiences over seas! Keep looking out for Italy endeavors!

Grazie.
The Site-Seeing Softball Player

No comments:

Post a Comment